British Journal of Nursing, Vol. 17, Iss. 20, 13 Nov 2008, pp 1269 - 1273
Malnutrition is a major problem in the UK, which frequently goes unrecognized and untreated. It impacts on patients’ quality of life, increases length of stay in hospital, and overall increases the risk of unsuccessful outcomes in treatment. Effective management of malnutrition and related conditions aims to correctly screen and identify the presence of malnutrition through the use of a validated nutrition screening tool and address underlying deficiencies through adapting food choices, food fortification or initiation of proprietary nutritional supplements. This article discusses the prevalence of malnutrition, the role of screening and practical steps towards improving nutritional management in older people.
Why purchase a paper only subscription?
- Read high quality peer-reviewed articles such as this and many more covering all aspects of nursing and career development in a way which is clear, easy-to-read and useful to your daily practice.
- British Journal of Nursing contains the best clinical information, original research and evidence-based articles available to nurses to ensure that you are kept fully up to date with the latest developments taking place in nursing practice.
- Get British Journal of Nursing delivered regularly to your door, subscribe online now and receive an exclusive discount on your subscription!
Alternatively, download this article now!
The full-text of this article is available to download at www.internurse.com.
internurse.com is the UK’s largest archive of nursing articles containing over 14,500 articles dating back to 1996 from 13 prestigious and peer-reviewed journals published by MA Healthcare, including British Journal of Nursing, British Journal of Community Nursing, Journal of Wound Care, International Journal of Palliative Nursing and Practice Nursing. For a full list of journals contained on internurse.com, please visit http://www.internurse.com/cgi-bin/go.pl/library/journals.html.
- Subscribe to internurse.com
Subscribe to internurse and take full advantage of the complete internurse archive including British Journal of Nursing for a year
- 24 hour access to internurse.com
Take out our 24 hour access to the entire internurse archive including British Journal of Nursing for a day
- Simply purchase this article