British Journal of Nursing, Vol. 20, Iss. 2, 25 Jan 2011, pp 131
It's nearly 30 years since I wrote my first book on the 'nursing process'. At the time it was the talking point of nursing and considered to be the way forward for the profession in the UK and Europe. The subject had already been implemented in the USA, and there was some resentment at the time that Britain was going to have to follow America. In fact, Professor Jean McFarlane (the first English Professor of Nursing) had given a seminar in the Department of Nursing at
the University of Manchester in 1973, relating to the importance of evaluating nursing practice. As part of her paper she proposed that the department should experiment with the nursing process. This it did, firstly in planning nursing care in its course leading to the Diploma in Advanced Nursing Studies for experienced registered nurses. It was then gradually introduced into the undergraduate programme.
Why purchase a paper only subscription?
- Read high quality peer-reviewed articles such as this and many more covering all aspects of nursing and career development in a way which is clear, easy-to-read and useful to your daily practice.
- British Journal of Nursing contains the best clinical information, original research and evidence-based articles available to nurses to ensure that you are kept fully up to date with the latest developments taking place in nursing practice.
- Get British Journal of Nursing delivered regularly to your door, subscribe online now and receive an exclusive discount on your subscription!
Alternatively, download this article now!
The full-text of this article is available to download at www.internurse.com.
internurse.com is the UK’s largest archive of nursing articles containing over 14,500 articles dating back to 1996 from 13 prestigious and peer-reviewed journals published by MA Healthcare, including British Journal of Nursing, British Journal of Community Nursing, Journal of Wound Care, International Journal of Palliative Nursing and Practice Nursing. For a full list of journals contained on internurse.com, please visit http://www.internurse.com/cgi-bin/go.pl/library/journals.html.
- Subscribe to internurse.com
Subscribe to internurse and take full advantage of the complete internurse archive including British Journal of Nursing for a year
- 24 hour access to internurse.com
Take out our 24 hour access to the entire internurse archive including British Journal of Nursing for a day
- Simply purchase this article