British Journal of Nursing, Vol. 21, Iss. 7, 12 Apr 2012, pp 413 - 418
This study aimed to determine whether the mentor preparation course introduced in 2006 by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) and based on NMC mentor standards is meeting the needs of mentors to support preregistration students in practice. A cross-sectional survey was carried out, involving 346 mentors who successfully completed the new course. A self-administered postal questionnaire was used to collect data between December 2010 and February 2011, with a response rate of 57.5%. Overall, respondents felt adequately prepared for their role as mentors and were more confident in their ability to support preregistration students in practice. However, a significant number of respondents received little protected time away from clinical duties to complete the theoretical and practical components of the course and many indicated the need for more input on the practice assessment document used for assessing preregistration nursing and midwifery students.
Why purchase a paper only subscription?
- Read high quality peer-reviewed articles such as this and many more covering all aspects of nursing and career development in a way which is clear, easy-to-read and useful to your daily practice.
- British Journal of Nursing contains the best clinical information, original research and evidence-based articles available to nurses to ensure that you are kept fully up to date with the latest developments taking place in nursing practice.
- Get British Journal of Nursing delivered regularly to your door, subscribe online now and receive an exclusive discount on your subscription!
Alternatively, download this article now!
The full-text of this article is available to download at www.internurse.com.
internurse.com is the UK’s largest archive of nursing articles containing over 14,500 articles dating back to 1996 from 13 prestigious and peer-reviewed journals published by MA Healthcare, including British Journal of Nursing, British Journal of Community Nursing, Journal of Wound Care, International Journal of Palliative Nursing and Practice Nursing. For a full list of journals contained on internurse.com, please visit http://www.internurse.com/cgi-bin/go.pl/library/journals.html.
- Subscribe to internurse.com
Subscribe to internurse and take full advantage of the complete internurse archive including British Journal of Nursing for a year
- 24 hour access to internurse.com
Take out our 24 hour access to the entire internurse archive including British Journal of Nursing for a day
- Simply purchase this article